Saturday, August 8, 2009

Good-bye

by Mrs. Valente

Blood
Almost black in its darkness
so shocking against her carmel hair
Where was the source?
No cuts
No abrasions
No wounds
Her apologetic eyes flew to mine
I'm making a mess
Make it stop

"A tumor."
That's what she said.
"Most likely it was a tumor."


The drip of blood clung to her nose
remaining there until it grew too heavy to
hang
on.
I watched it fall
until the floor stopped it.
A perfect circle
but for the tiny tendrils
reaching out.

"It's better this way.
The end is never good."
Words given to silence the question:
Am I doing the right thing?

With a snort the blood
sprayed,
splattering
across the glass door.
Was she in pain?
How do I make it stop?
If she'd been human I'd know.

"There's too much blood for it to be
a cut.
No matter what, there's
nothing
to be done."

That's how the end came
one
red
drop
at
a
time.

"I can handle her,"
she said.
"You don't need to be with me.
Sometimes it's best to remember them
full
of life."


This is how I said
Good-bye to
My friend,
My companion,
My pet,
My dog,
My Annie.
I felt the tears gathering
remaining hidden
until they grew too heavy
to hang
on.

2 comments:

  1. This made me cry. Beautiful.
    -Danielle B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a moving tribute to Annie. I like the repeated image of the drop of blood at the beginning "too heavy to hang on" and the tears at the end. The one word lines in the stanza that begins "that's how the end came" and the interplay between the speaker and the vet.

    ReplyDelete